Electrical testing is a requirement for all trading businesses and landlords!  The Consumer Protection Act 1987, Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 all require you to have your appliances tested regularly.

With health and safety regulations and insurance companies demanding more, it isa vital your electrical installations are properly maintained.  Get tested regularly to protect yourself and others against incidents and claims.

Type Of Installation *Interval
Domestic Premises 10Yrs. Or on change of occupier
Commercial Premises 5 Yrs. Or on change of occupier
Educational Establishments 5 Yrs.
Hospitals 5 Yrs.
Industrial Premises 3 Yrs.
Cinemas 1 Yr.
Churches 5 Yrs.
Leisure Complexes 1 Yr.
Place of Public Entertainment 1 Yr.
Theatres 1 Yr.
Agricultural & Horticultural 3 Yrs.
Caravan Site 1 Yr.
*The Health and Safety Association recommends testing at the above intervals intervals

Public Houses

5 Yrs.

Our electrical testing & inspection team understand the regulations inside-out, we can carry out comprehensive PAT testing and periodic inspections to ensure you are compliant at all times.

 What are the different types of electrical certification?

You should ensure that you receive and keep the paperwork for all completed electrical installation work and periodic inspection and testing. All certificates and reports should include schedules of inspections and test results.

The type of certification or report you receive depends on the extent and type of electrical installation work, or inspection and testing, that you have had carried out.

Electrical certification for new installations, alterations or additions

Electrical Installation Certificates (EICs) and Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificates (MEIWCs) provide you, as the person responsible for the safety of an electrical installation, with a declaration that the new installation, or alteration or addition, is safe to use at the time it was put into service.

Keeping hold of these certificates also provides a basis for any further inspection and testing, as they can help save on costly exploratory work which might otherwise be needed in future. Additionally, in the event of a claim that injury or fire was caused by an electrical installation, certificates are documentary evidence which help show that the installation had been installed to a satisfactory standard of safety.

The EIC will indicate whether the electrical work that has been carried out is:

  • New – where the whole installation has been installed as new, if a complete rewire has been carried out, or where a consumer unit (fusebox) has been replaced.
  • Addition – applies if an existing installation has been modified by adding one or more new circuits.
  • Alteration – applies where one or more existing circuits have been modified or extended (for example to add a socket), or items such as a consumer unit (fusebox) and switching equipment have been replaced.

An EIC must be issued for all new electrical installations. It may also be required for an alteration or addition to the installation – depending upon whether or not a new circuit has been installed. Where an alteration or addition is carried out but does not include a new circuit, a MEIWC or an EIC may be used.

No matter what your market sector or size of your business or property portfolio, we can tailor our electrical testing services to fit your needs.

Call us today for your free quote on: 0191 340 8341